Wednesday, April 01, 2009

OpenSolaris preloaded on a Toshiba laptop

Well I got my Toshiba M10 with OpenSolaris last week, and I pretty much an able to use it for my desktop. It came with a Nevada build 101b and I have been able to set up my business email client (thunderbird), business IM client (Pidgin), my web browser is firefox.

I have made wired and wireless network connections using a tool/process called nwam. It uses dhcp to set up the connection automatically. There is a problem with nwam and wifi connections if the wifi is using wpa, but so far that hasn't stopped me from getting connected using my favorite choice a Cradlepoint wifi router and a EVDO cellular modem. I can connect to the internet anywhere my cell phone works. Even vpn works with this set up.

I have been able to share my desktop in my business network, with applications which were bundled with the Nevada 101b build.

The laptop was able to mount my SD card and show pictures that were on the card, and the laptop held on the battery for over two hours. The built in web camera worked great but I had to load the cheese application from the repository. Loading from the repository is easy, bring up the package manager, find the cheese application, and load it.

The overall I am happy so far with my new laptop, but I expect more of the functions to work in the next release of Nevada, and I expect more information to come out about things like the smart card slot on the side.

I had a little trouble with setting up the extras repository, but a quick visit to the forum at http://www.opensolaris.com and all was well. My laptop is currently set up for three repositories opensolaris.org/release opensolaris.org/webstack and pkg.sun.com/extras the extras needs to use ssl keys to connect. Next blog will cover some of the development applications set up.

No comments: